Friday, May 18, 2012

Mexican Burrito Bake


This is a recipe I adapted from one I found online, and I have to say, it could just be my FAVOURITE meal EVER!!!  I know that's a huge call, but I looooove Mexican food and this is just so delicious I could probably eat the whole thing by myself!  It's the perfect meal for the whole family - full of nutritious veges, it's vegetarian so it's quite cheap to make, so very tasty and easy to whip up too!  I don't think this photo does it justice, so I'll just have to make it again and try for a better pic :-)  I used round wraps and made it like a pie, but you could also use square wraps like Mountain Bread and do it in a lasagne dish.  I really hope I'm not building it up TOO much, but this is definitely among the best 326 calories I've had!

Ingredients (serves 6)
500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks
250g frozen spinach
100g low-fat ricotta
4 wraps
1 can refried beans
200g (half a can) corn kernels
500g jar tomato pasta sauce
100g low-fat cheese, grated

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

Cook pumpkin in a saucepan of simmering water until tender (or cook in microwave).  Mash and set aside.

Defrost spinach and squeeze out excess moisture.  Blend with a hand-held blender/food processor (this is not absolutely necessary, but it's quite stringy for the kids otherwise).  Combine with ricotta.

Use a dish that suits the size and shape of your wraps.  Spread half of the mashed pumpkin on the bottom of the dish.  Spread the 4 wraps with the refried beans.  Place one wrap, bean side up, in the dish.  Top with half of the spinach and ricotta mixture.  Place another wrap on top.  Spread with half the pasta sauce, then sprinkle with the corn and half of the cheese.  Top with another wrap, the remaining pumpkin, then the remaining spinach.  Place the last wrap on top, spread with the remaining pasta sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.

Bake for about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi again Vanessa, this is really yummy too, thanks for posting it. I have made it for dinner tonight for the second time! YUM

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vanessa, I made this last night and it was a winner all round. I will make it again for sure.
Joybell

Print