Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Kidney Bean Chocolate Cake


I couldn't believe the results of this chocolate cake (or cupcakes as you can see in the photo)!  I'd heard about "magic bean" cake before but this was my first go - and I actually was quite impressed!  I scoured the internet and brought together a couple of recipes - for a bit of an adult twist, you can also add a shot of coffee.  They're fantastic for a gluten & dairy-free options.  I used raw sugar, but you could try honey for an even better-for-you option.  Give these a go, you'll be surprised!

Grab your eggs, honey & kidney beans from Charlie's!


Ingredients
400g tin red kidney beans
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon bi carb soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

Combine kidney beans and eggs in a food processor.  Process for 5 minutes until smooth and aerated.

Add remaining ingredients and process for another minute, until well combined.

Pour into a lined cake tin, or cupcake pan, and bake for 20 minutes (cupcakes) - 40 minutes (cake).

Dust with icing sugar to serve.

2 comments:

Kym said...

My girls LOVE these cupcakes but I have to make sure they don't steal too many out of the fridge as they can have an "explosive effect" the next day.

Anonymous said...

hee, hee

Print