Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Brown Rice & Carrot Bake


I had a flashback to my childhood the other day and had to call my mum to ask for the recipe I was thinking of - and it's this Brown Rice & Carrot Bake! I made it for some friends for lunch and it was just as tasty as I remembered! It's a bit like Zucchini Slice and is great for using up leftover rice you might have on hand. I added some chopped asparagus and you could pop in other veges like corn, capsicum, zucchini or peas. Mum got the recipe from the Nursing Mothers Association (now the ABA) cookbook and it comes in at only 200 calories per serve - it's so versatile as it can be served warm for dinner, cold with salad for lunch, or even for breakfast! Give it a go!

Ingredients (serves 8)
2½ cups finely grated carrot
125g cheese, grated
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 eggs, well beaten
1¼ cups milk
2 teaspoons melted butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Method
Mix carrot, cheese and rice in a bowl.  Combine other ingredients and add to carrot mixture. 

Spread into a greased casserole dish. Cover and bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until cooked through.

No comments:

Print