Monday, June 17, 2013

Pineapple & Passionfruit Jam


In my resolve to make all of my jams & preserves this year, and not buy any from the shops, things have been going well.  Until a couple of weeks ago, when I realised I had nearly finished my jar of Strawberry, Lime & Vanilla Jam - and I had given away the rest that had been in the pantry!

So I've been on the lookout at shops and markets for some cheap, suitable fruit to make a new batch.  But unfortunately, apricots and strawberries (my two favourite varieties), are not in season and are too expensive to use for jam.

Until I came across some cheap pineapples (on special at Charlie's Fruit Market this week!) - and decided that would do the trick!


This jam is different - it has a real fresh & tropical flavour - but I really like it!  And best of all, it worked out at about $4 for 4 jars full - bargain!

(Note: I used a food processor to get the pineapple very well chopped, but you could just do it by hand to have a chunkier jam).

Ingredients
2 pineapples, skin & core removed, chopped
350g caster sugar
Pulp of 3 passionfruit
Juice of 1 lemon
Ingredients
Place pineapple in a large saucepan with sugar, passionfruit & lemon on medium-high heat.

Heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until it's thickened and is quite golden in colour.

Cooking time will depend on your saucepan and stovetop, so keep and eye on it and cook to your liking.

Pour into hot, sterilised jars.

No comments:

Print