Monday, June 11, 2012

A Diamond Jubilee Tea Party


Today was the official holiday to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee - what better excuse to pull out the tea cups and hold my own Tea Party?!?

I just thought I'd share with you some happy snaps and recipes of all things British as we celebrated with friends this morning.

First up - what would a Tea Party be without scones?  And gorgeous free printable cupcake toppers thanks to www.tinyme.com.  I used the Stephanie Alexander scone recipe I've previously shared - but obviously made plain scones with strawberry jam and cream.  Pretty hard to beat!


I did some googling to find what else was quintessentially British - and couldn't go past Bakewell Tarts.  I settled on this recipe from www.taste.com.au and it was pretty divine!


To round out the sweets, I couldn't resist doing something a little cheesy but right in the spirit of things - Union Jack Biscuits!  I used this biscuit recipe I've already posted then found this blog for inspiration on decorating.  I used royal icing tinted with liquid food colouring.  I was so thrilled with the result & felt they came out exactly how I imagined!


I obviously needed some savoury in the spread, so my wonderful neighbour Nikki whipped up the classic cucumber sandwiches.


Some more googling found me a delightful recipe for mini vegie pasties - a perfect addition to the morning tea table!  These were tasty served with tomato chutney and would be perfect party food.  I made mine smaller than the recipe specified (I used a 10cm cutter) and I thought they were a great size. You can see them on the top tier of the middle platter in the photo below.


And as one last savoury, I did a twist on the very British Beef Wellington, making these super easy and very tasty and popular Sausage Wellingtons.  These were so quick to make and were a real hit with the kids and adults alike.  They're the ones on the bottom tier of the middle platter in the pic above.

So, as you can see, we had quite a spread, the tea & coffee flowed and a lovely time was had by all.  I can't resist sharing one last photo of the table I set up for the toddlers - they loved it!


Long live the Queen!  Thanks for the holiday - we'll take any excuse for a Tea Party!

No comments:

Print