Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chewy carrot, oat and walnut slice




I've been a bit slice-crazy lately - I find them so quick and easy to make, that it's not unusual for me to satisfy my baking urge and have a slice in the oven by 7:30 in the morning!  So when my friend lent me the Women's Weekly Slices and Squares book, I knew I'd want to try them all!  Here's one I made for mum's group that everyone enjoyed...

Ingredients:
125g butter, melted
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 ½ cups rolled oats
¾ cup coarsely chopping walnuts
1 medium carrot, grated finely
¾ cup plain flour
¼ self-raising flour

Cream cheese frosting:
250g cream cheese, softened
½ cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Grease 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan; line base and sides with baking paper.

Combine butter, sugar, egg, oats, nuts and carrot in medium bowl; stir in sifted flours.  Spread mixture into pan; bake about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make icing.  Cool slice in pan, then ice and cut into squares.

No comments:

Print