Monday, April 23, 2012

Anzac Day Cake


I was looking for something a little different to make this Anzac Day and stumbled across this recipe from Fast Ed (you know, the guy from Better Homes & Gardens). It uses very similar ingredients to the traditional Anzac Biscuits - but of course in cake form, yum! As I write, the cake hasn't been tested, so I'll have to come back with my work colleagues' reviews tomorrow. I made a few changes - mine needed an extra 15 minutes or so in the oven (and I think I slightly over-did it in the end) - so just keep an eye on it. I used shredded coconut from a packet rather than the fresh stuff, and instead of rum I used 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and 1 teaspoon of coconut essence, then water to make it up to 1/4 cup. Enjoy a little variation this Anzac Day :-)

Ingredients
melted butter for greasing
caster sugar for dusting
125g unsalted butter
250g golden syrup
6 eggs
120g self raising flour
120g rolled oats
150g dessicated coconut
80g icing sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup fresh coconut
cream to serve

Method
Preheat oven to 170c, line and grease a 23cm round cake tin, dust with caster sugar.

Melt butter and golden syrup in small pan over a low heat. Set aside to cool slightly,then beat in eggs.

Combine flour, oats, coconut and icing sugar in a bowl, stir in butter mixture. Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 mins.

Meanwhile bring caster sugar and rum to the boil, cook for 5 mins, then set aside. Remove coconut shell and shred coconut meat into fine strips with a vegie peeler.

Gently turn out cake onto wire rack to cool. Serve drizzled with rum syrup, topped with coconut and a dollop of cream on the side.

No comments:

Print