Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hedgehog Slice


I had a spare packet of Scotch Finger biscuits in the cupboard, so decided to make this quick and easy, no-bake slice.  I omitted the nuts and the egg and it came out perfectly!  The only advice I'd give is to let it chill before spreading the icing over - mine was still a bit crumbly when I was trying to ice it.  All in all, a quick, easy and yummy slice - thanks to www.kidspot.com.au for the recipe!

Ingredients
250g packet Scotch Finger biscuits
¾ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts or almonds)
1 cup sultanas
125g butter
125g caster sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp coconut
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten

Icing
1½ cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2-3 tbsp water

Method
Grease a slice tin with butter.

Crush biscuits either by hand or in a food processor, leaving some lumps (I just broke them into a bowl then crushed with the base of a drinking glass).

Add nuts, sultanas, cocoa and coconut.

In a small saucepan or the microwave, melt butter, then stir in sugar, and vanilla.

Stir through biscuit mixture and then stir in egg.

Press into tin with the back of a spoon.

Put a bit of cold water on your fingers to press down the top so it is smooth.

To make icing, combine icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl and stir in enough water to form a spreadable paste.

Spread icing over slice and refrigerate overnight (this makes slicing much easier).

Cut into squares.

1 comment:

Mirfi said...

I made this on Tuesday for my husband to take to work. None came home, so I personally can't tell you what it was like. He told me it was dense and not too sweet. His colleagues said it was the perfect cake to have with an afternoon cup of coffee. I'll just have to make another one for me! It was SO EASY. My kind of recipe and gluten and dairy free.

Print