Friday, January 25, 2013

Damper



I have really fond memories of eating damper around the campfire while camping as a kid - so I was really excited to try this out for Barbecue Week!  I did some comparing of recipes and realised if I was going to do it on the barbecue, I'd need one with a hood - but I don't!  So, this version is cooked in the oven.  Another great idea is to twist "snakes" of dough around sticks and cook it over an open fire - yum!  My personal preference for damper is to serve warm with lashings of butter & golden syrup - but you could just as easily have it savoury with Vegemite (how Aussie is that?!?), cheese, or basically any sandwich topping!  My Aunty gave me this recipe and I love it!

Ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup water

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C.

Mix together the dry ingredients.

Melt butter in saucepan and add milk and water (do not boil).  This could also be done in the microwave.

Add the liquid to the flour and mix well.

Knead for 5 minutes.

Shape into a flattened ball and place on a lined baking tray or in a cake tin (I used my silicone Kugelhopf and loved the shape!)

Bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Print