Monday, March 25, 2013

Healthy Easter: Guilt-Free Chocolate


Easter is just around the corner and it really is a time laden with sugar, fat and generally very unhealthy treats.  So this week, I'm endeavouring to bring you super-healthy Easter alternatives, to prove that you can celebrate this time of year without putting on 10kg!

To kick it off today, I'm sharing a recipe I based on one from Spark Recipes.  It is a paleo recipe, using raw ingredients.  The taste is not like your standard Easter egg - it is a bit more bitter and definitely not as sweet, but if you think of it as a twist on a Coconut Rough, it really is quite pleasant!  I also find it satisfies that sweet craving, but doesn't make you want to binge on it.

I like this recipe as it isn't full of really expensive, very "out-there" ingredients - most things you will probably have on hand.  My chocolate-loving kids ate these up, but my sweet-tooth husband wasn't so keen! Another note, I got my Easter chocolate molds from a $2 shop a couple of years ago - always handy to have!

You can also add some variety by putting in chopped nuts (like cashews or macadamias), or dried fruit (preferably something like dates with no added sugar).  Enjoy!

PS Did you know Charlie's Fruit Market sell nuts & dried fruit?!?

Ingredients
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon raw peanut butter (optional)

Method
Mix the dry ingredients together.  Blend together coconut oil and maple syrup, then combine all until mixed well.

Press into chocolate moulds (or a silicone mini-muffin pan) and chill for 30 minutes.

Optional: put 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter in between layers of chocolate.

2 comments:

M said...

I will be trying these!

Vanessa Gibson said...

Great! Let me know what you think!

Print