Monday, August 1, 2011

Apricot Chicken


When hubby requested Apricot Chicken last week I had to have a look around for a recipe, as it's not something I make often.  I found this one and it was a winner!  I've added the vegetables as my own touch, but they can be left out if you want.  Also, I've put the cooking times that the original recipe listed, but I found it needed about 10 minutes less and also had to add some water as it thickened too much.  I'm sure it depends on your pan and stove top, so see how you go with it.  I should also mention how much I LOVE cous cous.  Anything that takes 5 minutes and requires no actual cooking gets a big tick from me!


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 400g chicken thighs, diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large brown onion, peeled, cut into thin wedges
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning blend
  • 400g pumpkin, diced
  • 250g sweet potato, diced
  • 405ml can apricot nectar
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 1 cup couscous
  • 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

Method
Combine flour with some salt and pepper and put in a shallow dish.  Lightly coat chicken in the flour.

Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat.  Cook chicken for a few minutes or until browned.  Transfer to a plate.  Add onion and garlic to frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.  Add Moroccan seasoning, pumpkin and sweet potato and stir until combined.  

Stir in apricot nectar.  Bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to low and return chicken to the pan.  Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.  Add apricots and cook for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.

Meanwhile, place cous cous in a heatproof bowl.  Pour over 1 cup boiling water.  Cover and stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Stir with a fork.  Serve cous cous then the chicken and sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Print