Monday, August 22, 2011

Baked Penne with Sweet Potato and Spinach


Well, I hope you can forgive my absence over the past week - I got kind of busy having a baby.  As you do.  Anyway, I now have a beautiful little boy in my life - but the kitchen hasn't closed down!  I tried to freeze a few meals before the big arrival and this one is perfect for doing so.  Cheap and yummy!  Since I'll have my hands fairly full over the next few weeks, I'd love to share some of YOUR favourite recipes!  If you have a winner, just email it through to me using the links - with a photo would be great!  In the meantime, happy cooking!

Ingredients:
2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
600g sweet potato, sliced thickly
2 tablespoons olive oil
375g penne pasta
250g frozen spinach, thawed, drained
350g ricotta cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup cream
2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Method:
Preheat oven to 220 degrees/200 fan-forced.

Combine onion and sweet potato with oil in a large baking dish.  Roast, uncovered, stirring once, for about 30 minutes until tender.

Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until tender.  Drain.

Combine pasta in a large bowl with spinach, ricotta, garlic, cream and tomatoes.

Spread sweet potato mixture over the base of baking dish evenly.  Top with pasta mixture then sprinkle with nuts and parmesan.  Bake, uncovered for 10-15 minutes until browned lightly.

No comments:

Print