Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fruit Mince Bites



I am so unbelievably excited about posting my very first Christmas recipe for you!  Christmas baking is quite possibly my favourite kind of baking, and I have heaps of favourites to share over the next couple of weeks - EXCITING!!!

So kicking it off today is a recipe my mother-in-law (a VERY good cook, who has set the standards very high for her son!) introduced me to a few years back, and they can be found on www.taste.com.au.  I think I've made them every Christmas since.  They are a bit of a cheat's version of Fruit Mince Pies - but I don't like to say they're cheating, because they're so clever and DELICIOUS in their own right.  They are so easy to make and are a winner every time :-)

Ingredients:
250g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/3 cup rice flour, sifted
1 teaspoon lemon rind
2/3 cup fruit mince
icing sugar, to serve

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Grease two 12-hole minimuffin pans.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.  Stir in lemon rind and flours.

Turn mixture onto floured surface.  Knead until dough comes together.  

Press 1 level tablespoon of mixture into one hole of the prepared pans.  Using your finger, make a hole in the centre of the mixture.  Spoon 1 teaspoon of fruit mince into hole.  Repeat with remaining shortbread mixture and fruit mince.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until shortbread is light golden.  Remove from oven.  Stand in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

No comments:

Print