Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wholemeal Flat Breads


Since shifting to "real foods", I've been trying out a few bread alternatives.  I'm still happy to eat wholegrain bread, but I've definitely cut down - and am interested in other things that do the job.

We all love wraps in our family and I usually buy them from the shop at a pretty good price of $2 for 8 wraps.  But, as I'm starting to read labels a bit more, I realised that this is what we've been eating:


Compare that list, to the ingredients below!  I know what I'd rather put in my body :-)

This recipe was on the side of the Coles Wholemeal Plain Flour packet.  It's really easy - a little time consuming with the rolling and individually frying, but not that long overall.  I've put down olive oil, as per the original recipe, but I've been using coconut oil for its health benefits, and it works perfectly.

And get this - 10 wraps will cost you about 50 cents to make yourself!  How good is that?!?

I also tried baking some of these wraps in a moderate oven for about 2-3 minutes each side - it worked fine, but didn't get the same brown bits as in the pan.  Careful not to overcook or they become quite crispy and then you can't really wrap anything up!

These are just 90 calories per wrap :-)

Ingredients (makes 10)
1 1/4 cups Wholemeal Plain Flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup hot water
olive oil spray

Method
Combine flour and salt in a bowl.  Make a well, add oil and hot water and mix with a knife.

Knead on a lightly floured bench for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and elastic.  Cut into 10 balls.  Place onto a plate, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.

Roll each ball out with a rolling pin to a 20cm thin round.  Spray a large frying pan with oil.

Cook each round for 1-2 minutes on each side or until brown bubbles appear and bread becomes pale golden.  Remove to a plate.

Serve with curries or with dips or use as a homemade wrap.

No comments:

Print