Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Avocado Cupcakes



This post comes with a big disclaimer - I don't really like this recipe and am reluctant to recommend it!

It all started when my work colleague gave me a bag of avocados (home grown from his parents' tree) and challenged me to make something a little different with them.

Avocados always seem to be used for savoury purposes, so I decided to try for something sweet (that was probably my first mistake!).  And so, came Avocado (and chocolate) Cupcakes.  I took them into the office for the big taste test - and they were a huge hit!  Everyone seemed to love them!  So I was convinced to share the recipe for those game enough to try it themselves.

Again, I do not endorse this recipe or encourage you to make them - but here they are!

Ingredients:
1 large, ripe avocado
3 eggs
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder

Icing:
1 large or 2 medium ripe avocados
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2-3 cups icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Mash the avocado, trying to get as many lumps out as possible.  Beat together with eggs, golden syrup and brown sugar until well combined.

Add the flour, almond meal, cocoa and baking powder and mix well.

Divide into 12 cupcake pans and bake at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Make the icing:  Mash the avocado, until as smooth as possible.  Add lemon juice and whisk for 2 to 3 minutes.  Slowly add the icing sugar until you reach a smooth, thick consistency.  Add vanilla essence.  Spread over cooled cupcakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy. I reckon the best recipe I've seen you post. You must have the best job having a workmate bring you avo's like that. What a genorous guy

Terri said...

I LOVE avocados but cannot bring myself to even think about avocado cupcakes I am afraid

Print