Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beef Chow Mein


Today was one of those days when I got home at 5:30pm and didn't know what I was going to make for dinner.  Trusty Chow Mein to the rescue!  By 6pm, dinner was on the table - and I can safely say it was not only quick & easy, but cheap, healthy AND tasty as well!  I added some green beans and left the chilli out of this one for the sake of the one-year-old, but it still had a bit of bite to it.

Ingredients:
350g fresh chow mein or Singapore egg noodles
1 tablespoon oil
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
500g beef mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
1 capsicum, finely chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup oyster sauce
2 cups Chinese cabbage (wombok), shredded

Method:
Place noodles in a bowl.  Cover with boiling water.  Stand for 2 minutes until tender.  Separate noodles with a fork and drain.

Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat.  Add onion and mince.  Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 6-8 minutes or until browned.  Add garlic, chilli and curry powder.  Stir-fry for 1 minute.

Add carrot and capsicum.  Stir-fry for 4 minutes or until veges have softened.  Add stock, oyster sauce, noodles and cabbage. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.

4 comments:

Mo said...

Made this for dinner tonight Vanessa and my lot loved it. Great way to sneak some yummy veg in for the girls. (They love anything noodle). I forgot to buy the cabbage and it worked just as well, probably more appetizing for the girls without it in fact. I used rice noodles because the US dont have a decent Asian section in the supermarkets and couldn't get singapore noodles and I also threw in a little hoisin sauce. It was delicious, thank you!

Yummy!

Been meaning to say, great blog Vanessa...keep it up. Well, until baby No 2 takes you to a new level of busy!

Vanessa Gibson said...

Excellent, glad you all liked it! Hehe trying to get as many recipes in before the baby comes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ness

I am new to your blog, so glad I found it :) Listen to you every morning, Love you on the show.

I made this tonight, It was easy, tasty and my family enjoyed it thoroughly. I struggle with cooking, it’s not something I am naturally good at, but I have made a commitment to make a home cooked nutritious meal every night for my family so I will be trying out many more of your recipes, I looked through your recipes and I really like what I see, Not too hard and yummy!! I think I might cook through everything you’ve got LOL

Thanks Ness, love your work :))

Love Brooke

Vanessa Gibson said...

That's so great to hear Brooke! Enjoy the recipes :-)

Print